[Ads-l] Adage: If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly (June 1908)

Thu Dec 8 17:31:15 UTC 2016

The saying in the subject line was mentioned on this mailing list in
2015 and 2016. I was sent requests via email and twitter to explore
the provenance of the saying and its unlikely ascription to Gandhi.
Now the QI website has an entry on the topic.

If You Are Going To Be a Bear, Be a Grizzly
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/12/08/grizzly/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Wilson Gray, Juan Ospina, Sarah Werner, John Overholt,
Lisa Gold, and David Emery whose inquiries and comments led QI to
formulate this question and perform this exploration. Thanks to Wilson
Gray who located the 1908 citation, Sarah Werner who found the 1967
citation, Wendy Robertson who identified the 1977 citation, and Tom
Woodward who pointed to the 1981 movie.
[End acknowledgement]

Garson