[Ads-l] Further Antedating of "Glove Compartment"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Feb 1 00:36:43 UTC 2016

Advertisements for and reviews of automobiles start to mention glove compartments in 1916.  The earliest example I see is in The Automobile, vol. 34, p. 738 (Apr. 20, 1916) (Google Books), which in a review of a new model (possibly copied from text provided by the manufacturer) says, "The gearbox provides three speeds and the equipment is unusually complete.  An example of this is in the glove compartment in the instrument board and the tonneau light in the back of the forward seat."  For a number of years afterward, glove compartments are advertised as a special feature of some models.

An article in the Davenport (Iowa) Democrat and Leader (May 17, 1927) (Newspapers.com), on the influence of women on motor car design, says, "When it comes to car upholstery, to comfort and room within, to a full compliment [sic] of vanity cases, smoking sets, glove compartments, and compartments for various other motor appurtenances, it is the woman's influence that has made itself felt."

Searches find earlier and contemporaneous uses of "glove compartment" in steamer trunks, but I don't know if there was any influence.  It seems more likely to me that in each case there was just a transparent collocation referring to a compartment for gloves.

John Baker