[Ads-l] List Posting Problems

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Feb 4 16:34:17 UTC 2016

This from Jesse, and the previous one from Larry, arrived OK, as did my
original query to the list.  As I said to Jesse in a backchannel reply to
his originally accidentally backchanneled response to me, whatever it is, it
doesn't seem to be a simple Spam-filter problem.

There's a reason why more computer mavins commit suicide over "intermittent
faults" than any other issue ...

Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Sheidlower
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 4:18 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: List Posting Problems

---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 11:16:51AM -0500, Laurence Horn wrote:
> > On Feb 4, 2016, at 11:08 AM, Robin Hamilton
> > <robin.hamilton3 at virginmedia.com> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else encountered the problem whereby not all posts to the
> > list arrive in their inbox?  It’s become so bad with me – I guess
> > I’m not getting about one post in ten – that I have the ADS-l
> > archive running in the background, frequently refreshed.  All the posts
> > are there, and arrive within seconds, but not all of them (including my
> > own last two posts) manage to reach my inbox.
> >
> > What gives?
> >
> > Robin
>
> Hmm.  As far as I know, I get all the postings except for my own.  I
> assume the latter fact results from some sort of default setting, but I
> just bcc myself on the postings I send that I want to keep.  Don't know
> why you wouldn't be getting non-Robin Hamilton posts, though.

Sorry, I replied directly to Robin about this. Yes, there's a default
setting that you don't get copies of your own posts; that setting can be
changed. There's no reason on the ADS-L side why other messages wouldn't go
through--likely a problem with ISP spam filters.

Jesse Sheidlower
ADS-L