[Ads-l] antedating snake eyes (UNCLASSIFIED)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 6 05:54:54 UTC 2016

Last year I did a piece on the history of, "Baby needs a new pair of shoes" (familiar form dates to at least 1900; earlier, non-gambling iterations to at least 1855).  In the article, I cited a WWI memoir (published in 1930) that suggests that "snake eyes" was current during American involvement in that war.

"The boys have been teaching me to roll
dice.  Robert says when I learn a little
more the other players had better look out for the gold fillings in their
teeth.  I already know “snake eyes,”
“little Joe,” “box cars,” “fever,” “talk to mama,” “big six,” “baby needs a new pair of shoes,” and a
lot of the good terms."

Anonymous, One Woman’s War, New York, The Macaulay Company, 1930, page 119.
I just found "snake eyes" in the University of Missouri student annual, The Savitar, volume 21, 1915, on HathiTrust. In the report of the Law Department:

"We intend to collect for our strained eyes and midnight oil in the proportion of "box cars" to "snake eyes"."