[Ads-l] Put Up Your Dukes - Duke of York?

Tue Jan 19 08:03:09 UTC 2016

Interesting topic, Peter. Below are some citations for "left duke" and
"right duke" in the London periodical "Sporting Life" in 1859.

Date: June 25, 1859
Newspaper: Sporting Life
Newspaper Location: London, England
Article: Gallant Fight between Tommy Hackett and Jack Lead for Twenty
Rounds a Side
Quote Page 3, Column 1
Database: britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

[Begin excerpt]
Tom slung out his left duke on the cheek, but was prettily stopped in
an intended repetition of treatment. Frequent exchanges to a close,
when both were down, but Hackett under.
[End excerpt]