[Ads-l] Put Up Your Dukes - Duke of York?

Tue Jan 19 08:29:46 UTC 2016

JL's "Historical Dictionary of American Slang" suggests a connection
between the "duke" and fortune-telling/palmistry although JL also
included the 1874 citation with the rhyming slang explanation.

{Begin excerpt}
duke n. l.a. a hand or (usu. pl.) fist; (pl., in 1974 quot.) fisticuffs.

[*1839 Brandon Poverty (gloss): Dookin--fortune-telling.]
[1859 Matsell Vocab. 27: Dookin cove. A fortune-teller.]
. . .
*1889 Barrere & Leland Dict. Slang I 338: Dukes or dooks...the hands,
from the gypsy duk, dook, which refers to palmistry.
{End excerpt}

Garson