[Ads-l] talk story - 1971

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Jan 24 20:23:51 UTC 2016

I guess I'm a little more rusty than I thought I was. The Ken Sakata who coauthored the Pidgin dictionary is not the same person as Kent Sakoda, who was my classmate, and, with Jeff Siegel coauthored a Pidgin grammar, apparently still in print:

http://www.amazon.com/Pidgin-Grammar-Introduction-Creole-Language/dp/1573061697/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1453666960&sr=1-1&keywords=9781573061698

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Geoffrey Steven Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2016 3:14 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: talk story - 1971

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Geoffrey Steven Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>

My HCE is a little rusty (I was somewhat fluent in the seventies) but as I =
recall it's a little more than just 'casual conversation'. Something like '=
schmooze', perhaps with the additional connotation of 'trading tall tales'.=
 My only handy reference material is=20

Pidgin to da max' (1981). Douglas Simonson (Peppo), Ken Sakata and Pat Sasa=
ki. The Bess Press. Honolulu, HI.
'Talk, gossip, shoot the breeze. Siddown, relax, talk story wit' me'=20

FWIW, Ken Sakata is a linguist who was a classmate of mine. Not sure where =
he is now.