[Ads-l] Dialect clash

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 9 15:11:04 UTC 2016

In an ad, comedian Kevin Hart hypercorrects the term, _boojie_ "member of
or stereotypical of the so-called 'black bourgeoisie'" from

"boo[dZ]I"

"boo[Z]I."

"The pronunciation of _Bei[dZ]ing_ as "Bei[Z]ing" was already a problem for
me.

Will J j come to represent [Z] in the future of English?

Slightly apropos, I have no documentation, but, at one time, there was no
[Z] in BE, only [dZ]. As Matthew McConaughey might say, "Now, you can't
prove that." However, according to my experience, it's still true today,
among those who feel no pressure to use a "more-elegant" register in their
speech,
people who say "my r-eyes" and "me[dZ]urin' cup."

--
-Wilson
-----