[Ads-l] Dialect clash

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Sun Jul 10 04:41:21 UTC 2016

To offer Wilson some support from a regional variety of English, I've noticed that I can predict that a student (or any other person) is from Baton Rouge because they say [rudZ], while non-natives of all kinds call it [ruZ]. I first noticed this while listening to the BR public radio station, and have tested it hundreds of times since then. The times I have been tricked is by non-Baton Rougian AfAm students who use [dZ]. I've been taking notes on place name pronunciations here in Lafayette and the region--excluding New Orleans because it's been done too much. Most non-locals try to Franglais the names, but AFAMs will not go to [Z], they stick to [dZ]. I've been wondering if Z has much presence in BE at all, or at least southern BE.

Clai