[Ads-l] Miniskirt/Minifalda

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Jul 13 14:54:04 UTC 2016

According to the OED, "miniskirt" was formed within English, by compounding mini- and skirt.  However, does the historical record actually support this?

The earliest known reference to "miniskirt" is in a humorous syndicated 1962 article datelined Mexico City and describing the "mini-skirt" or "Ya-Ya" as a controversial item of clothing that was the latest thing on the production line there.  That seems strong evidence that "miniskirt" might be a calque of the equivalent Spanish term, "minifalda."  Unfortunately, I do not speak Spanish, but I wonder if anyone has examined the early history of "minifalda."

John Baker