[Ads-l] "shave ice" discovered by the Times

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 20 01:41:24 UTC 2016

Consistent with the New York Times Article shared by Laurence Horn, here is an example of flavored, shaved ice treat in Japan in 1904:

"During the hot months ice is a necessity in Japan.  On every street, every block, little ice kori are seen, some of them on wheels, in which ice, cracked and in solid chunks, is sold; also shaved ice in glasses, flavored with lemon juice or syrup."

East Oregonian (Pendleton, OR), October 15, 1904, page 10. ChroniclingAmerica.loc.gov.

From: pjreitan at hotmail.com
To: ads-l at listserv.uga.edu
Subject: RE: "shave ice" discovered by the Times
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 15:35:42 -0700

"Shave ice," although perhaps not by that name, has been served in Hawaii since at least 1917.  In an article warning about the health risks of candy carts selling to school children:

"Menace To the Children

A report from the tuberculosis bureau, published in this issue, shows the direct relationship between school children's lunches and the building up of the little bodies to that degree of health where any latent seeds of the white plague may be thrown off. . . .

This is the matter of the itinerant candy carts which draw their principal trade from the school children, tempting the little ones to spend their lunch money for what are at best only excuses for food.  Many and many a child has sacrificed his midday lunch in order to feast on shaved ice with a teasponful [sic] of colored syrup poured on it, while other spend their nickels on cheap candies, soda-water or other tempting dainty of the push carts."
The Hawaiian Gazette, January 23, 1917, page 4. ChroniclingAmerica.loc.gov