[Ads-l] suspect, adj.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 1 21:43:34 UTC 2016

>"You can't even step into the same river *once*!"

This is obviously true, since "same" implies that you've stepped into
"it"  before (assuming it's the "same" in the Heraclitian sense). Thus
it is a more exacting, yet essentially synonymous, statement of the
Heraclitian principle.

Most people, however, including Yours Truly, overlook the connotations
of "same."  In that case, the claim is a statement of "poetic truth"
alone. (I.e., "truthiness," not the real McCoy.)