[Ads-l] suspect, adj.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 2 00:46:18 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >"You can't even step into the same river *once*!"
>
> This is obviously true, since "same" implies that you've stepped into
> "it"  before (assuming it's the "same" in the Heraclitian sense). Thus
> it is a more exacting, yet essentially synonymous, statement of the
> Heraclitian principle.

Have you ever considered going into philosophy? Nobody has ever explained
to me that way, before. That analysis is interesting, given that it's of
the top of your head and is consistent with mine own analysis and both
analyses are reasonably close to the ones given by the pros.

My naive interpretation was that you can't step into same river twice
because, even as the first hydrogen atom of your big toe is touching the
first hydrogen atom of the river, that part of the river is flowing away.
So, you can't, sensu stricto, step into the "same" river, because the fact
the river is *flowing* makes it incompatible with the concept, <same>.

--
-Wilson
-----