[Ads-l] New (to me) negative polarity item--"(not) have the bandwidth" as metaphor

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Jun 20 18:14:50 UTC 2016

It's at least 20 years old.

>From The Jargon File (4.4.7), 29 Dec 2003 (That's the version that's online
now; I don't know when this entry was written):

"bandwidth: n.

"1. [common] Used by hackers (in a generalization of its technical meaning)
as the volume of information per unit time that a computer, person, or
transmission medium can handle. 'Those are amazing graphics, but I missed
some of the detail - not enough bandwidth, I guess.' Compare low-bandwidth;
see also brainwidth. This generalized usage began to go mainstream after the
Internet population explosion of 1993-1994.

"2. Attention span.

"3. On Usenet, a measure of network capacity that is often wasted by people
complaining about how items posted by others are a waste of bandwidth."