[Ads-l] New (to me) negative polarity item--"(not) have the bandwidth" as metaphor

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 20 18:26:55 UTC 2016

(3) is what I take to be the literal meaning, and (2) is a different metaphorical use.  (1) is the closest to the relevant use (= to lack the time to do something because of too many other commitments), but if I explain "I can't help you send out the mailers because with the new job and the baby I simply don't have the bandwidth" it's not clear I'm talking about information volume, so I do think this is an additional broadening.

LH