[Ads-l] New retronyms: analogue phone and analogue handset

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 1 21:21:43 UTC 2016

Apologies for the month-late reply!

> I have always seen "analog" (as opposed to "digital") spelt without the
> trailing "ue".
> Is this a new spelling?  A British usage? (Isn't the Independent a British
> newspaper?)
>    - Jim Landau

Yes, "analogue" with "ue" is the common British spelling, analogous with
the French. (Yes, both the Independent and Guardian are British papers.)


The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list