[Ads-l] Playerspeak: "in the zone"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 6 05:42:03 UTC 2016

In some issue of Sports Illustrated from the last century, I seem to recall
reading something similar to this.
When the phrase, "in the zone," was fresh and new, an SI writer asked a
basketball(?)-player what the source of the phrase was or what the "zone"
was or something like that. The player answered that the inspiration for
the phrase was Rod Serling's introductory spiel in which he stated that an
episode of his show was something weird and unexplained that took place "in
the Twilight Zone." So, when a player's game inexplicably became
near-perfect, shots falling into the basket as though the ball had eyes, it
seemed as bizarre as though it was happening "in the Twilight Zone," both
to the player and to the other players.

Anybody else have any facts or opinions on this?
--
-Wilson
-----