[Ads-l] RES: New to me: "go pear-shaped"

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Mon May 9 18:44:17 UTC 2016

David Daniel wrote:
> Brits and other non-US English speakers like to use "went pear-shaped."
> Don't know that I've ever heard it in the US, though I have noticed over the
> last ten-fifteen years or so that Britishisms have been creeping into
> US-speak.

I'm pretty sure I first encountered it in the writings of the late Terry
Pratchett. I've seen it used since in the SFnal community, AmE and BrE
alike. Whether that was the vector into the wider community, I don't know.

Jim Parish