[Ads-l] HuffPost interview query: "Dumpster fire" (Reply from Barry Popik) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Wed May 11 21:07:30 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

> My thanks to Barry Popik for his response below
>
> Gerald Cohen

This is a literal, not figurative usage.

Grand Prairie TX _Daily News-Texan_ 12 Oct 1962 p 3 col 3
"Two fire runs were made Thursday by Grand Prairie firemen, one a grease fire at the Lennon Hotel and the other a dumpster fire at Eddlemon's Food Shop, 209 Clarice."

> LIKE A DUMPSTER FIRE
> Even amid turmoil, try to give thanks for life Reinhardt, Susan. Asheville Citizen - Times [Asheville, N.C] 08 Dec 2011: B.4.
>
> ... "My life is like a Dumpster fire," he said, and couldn't resist a brief ...

Columbia SC _State_ 10 Oct 2007 p c4
"Wow, Nebraska looked like a dumpster fire Saturday."

> IS A DUMPSTER FIRE
> Blame for offense's collapse falls squarely on Brewster's shoulders Souhan, Jim. Star Tribune [Minneapolis, Minn] 22 Nov 2009: C.1.
> ...scheme, the Gophers' offense is a dumpster fire. Weber spent much ...

Columbia SC _State_ 17 Dec 2006 p c4
" Tank Johnson's life is a Dumpster fire."

> DUMPSTER FIRE OF A
> Road to respectability filled with potholes Kravitz, Bob. Indianapolis Star [Indianapolis, Ind] 17 Feb 2010: B.1.
> ... He took over a Dumpster fire of a program, populated by players who were

_Birmingham [AL] News_ 23 July 2009 p 2C
" They don't have Pat White and we don't have that Dumpster fire of an offensive coordinator in Tony Franklin."

Earliest comparative use I can find is:
_Grand Rapids [MI] Press_ 2 Apr 2004 p c3
"This bloody, exploitative mess is the cinematic equivalent of a dumpster fire -- stinky, but insignificant."