[Ads-l] t(h)run

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 14 17:44:51 UTC 2016

1901 Charles Macomb Flandreau, "The Diary of a Harvard Freshman," in
_Saturday Evening Post_ (Jan. 19) 11: All the men jumped up on their
chairs ...and yelled, "Down in front - down in front!" and "Trun him
out!"

1902 _The National Engineer _ (Dec.) 25: "Smash th' thraitor," "Slub
[sic] de beef-eatin' bully," "Trun 'im out." Quicker'n scat, Mike was
at the bottom of a fightin', strugglin' mas off mad Irishmen.

1916 Walter Alden Dyer _Gulliver the Great_ (N.Y.: Century) 57: Well,
you take Maginnis an' trun 'im out. We can't have no lousy mutts
around here now. Where did ye find the dirty baste?"

I wonder if this present-tense "trun" is really a metathesis of "turn."

JL