[Ads-l] "slave" vs. "enslaved person" revisited?

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon May 23 14:25:10 UTC 2016

On 5/23/16 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Sun, 22 May 2016 15:29:36 -0400
> From:    Wilson Gray<hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: "slave" vs. "enslaved person" revisited?
>
> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Michael Newman<Michael.Newman at qc.cuny.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> >no one prostitutes themselves.
> And anyone who knows anything at all about prostitution knows this to be
> the stone truth. If you don't know this, then you don't know shit about
> prostitution.
> -- -Wilson

Sing it brother. I've used the chapter from Studs Terkel's /Working/
"From Call Girl to Streetwalker" in my portfolio class (as a genre
similar to a professional narrative, which we ask our students to
write), and it's really illuminating. And I have had students recently
who as a result of addiction have worked as prostitutes. So, yeah, sing
it, brother.

---Amy West