[Ads-l] WOTY candidate (in some category)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 25 00:34:59 UTC 2016

Are you ready for Latinx?  (Pronounced "La-TEEN-ex", we're told.)  Gender-neutral version of Latino/a:

http://www.latina.com/lifestyle/our-issues/why-we-say-latinx-trans-gender-non-conforming-people-explain
http://latinousa.org/2016/01/29/latinx-ungendering-spanish-language/  (NPR podcast)
http://www.latinorebels.com/2015/12/05/the-case-for-latinx-why-intersectionality-is-not-a-choice/

LH

P.S.  If you were wondering, it turns out that "Latin@", which gender-neutral, is "binary embedded" and therefore so...2005, plus or minus.  I just wish whoever decided on "La-TEEN-ex" had sprung for an orthographic vowel between the n and x.  Either than or we need to start spelling our tissues "Kleenx"

P.P.S. Sorry if someone (Ben? Arnold?) already posted about "Latinx"; if so I missed it.