[Ads-l] The NYT: comma > semi-colon

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Mon Nov 7 01:04:59 UTC 2016

Dan,

Wilson's original post, if I remember this correctly, simply posed the bare
example of the phrase taken from the NYT, implicitly suggesting some unease with
the way in which the material was presented, an unease which I shared.

Since then, the discussion has drifted somewhat.  It does seem that the
consensus among what seem to me relatively reputable grammar sites, whether or
not they explicitly refer back to the various style sheets, is that in what
would normally be comma-separated lists, where the list items themselves contain
commas, the items should then (normally) be separated by semicolons.

Whether or not the Parenthesis Rule (if it is a rule), that when one or more of
the list items contains additional information, that element of the list item
should be marked by parentheses, takes priority over or simply coexists with the
comma-to-semicolon rule, I really don't know enough about the style sheets to
say.  It does seem to me that the difference between commensurate and
non-commensurate lists leads me to prefer parentheses to semicolons in that
instance.

That said, I'm left with a question which has absolutely nothing to do with the
discussion so far, but which occurred to me as it developed.

When  the printer Robert Copland, fluent in French and also one of the earliest
editors of Chaucer,  came to print his best-known poem, a partial  translation
from the French mixed with his own original material, The Highway to the Spittal
House (c 1530), he chose to punctuate this text as if it were a manuscript.

Hitherto, I've simply noted this as an interesting index of the peculiar
happenings around English punctuation at this time, which culminate in the
horrors of Tottel's Miscellany (to give that work its familiar title), where the
pointing of the poems of Thomas Wyatt is so heavy as to be mind-numbing.

Why it never occurred to me before to find out how Copland, as a printer in the
early sixteenth century, at a cusp in the evolution of punctuation conventions,
treated the presentation of a medieval manuscript dating from the late
fourteenth century, I'm not quite sure, other than that the question is of such
apparent inconsequentiality that it simply shouldn't arise.

So now I find myself forced to glumly travel in the direction of Early English
Books Online to access a facsimile of Copland's edition of Chaucer and see what
therein lies.  More interesting, for me at least, than perusing contemporary
stylesheets.

Thus am I punished for my sins.

I will report back to this estimable list in the doubtful event that anything of
interest emerges.

Best,

Robin