[Ads-l] FW: Antedating of "zowie"

Mon Nov 7 16:05:10 UTC 2016

Here is a 1905 instance with the alliteration zing-zowie

Date: May 9, 1905
Newspaper: The Pittsburgh Press
Newspaper Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Article: Says Wagner Is the Ideal
Quote Page 14, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
" ... When the Cubs were last here Coal Miner Brown made the crack:
"There's nobody I like to see come up in a pinch any better than Hans
Wagner." Maybe he meant it, but I'll bet he has changed his mind, for
the very next day Hans faced him at a time when a hit meant runs, and,
zing-zowie—that ball is going yet!"
[End excerpt]

I see this has now been mentioned: "The Inter Ocean" newspaper of
Chicago, Illinois mentioned a burlesque farce called "Zowie's Dion" on
May 20, 1900.

Garson