[Ads-l] _try to_ vs. _try and_

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue Nov 8 07:41:43 UTC 2016

I ran an Ngram on this:

1800 -- "try to" slightly preferred.

1880 -- "try to" has been rising faster than "try and", while at and after this
point, the "and" line flattens out.

2000 -- Ratio:  "try to" 56 :: "try and" 4.

Caveats -- the usual with regard to Ngram, with the added point that (I suspect)
spoken rather than written use might show a different pattern.

Is there a spoken corpus linguist in the house?

Robin