[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you

Sat Nov 12 15:05:32 UTC 2016

Thank you for your responses.

The joke about outrunning the bear versus outrunning a companion was
discussed on this mailing list back in 2011. John Baker presented a
version from the book "Quote It Completely":

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2011-November/114484.html

I presented a version that was given in confessional form in 1906:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2011-November/114496.html

Other interesting comments were shared on the discussion thread.

Garson