[Ads-l] leave it all on the field

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Nov 12 15:51:10 UTC 2016

It's an old expression beloved of football coaches and sportscasters.

--Charlie

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 8:32:47 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: leave it all on the field

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

Hillary Clinton told her campaign workers, "You left it all on the field,
every single one of you."

Despite what you might think, "leaving everything on the field" is a *good*
thing.  It means bringing everything to bear, going all out - though I'd
like to know why.

I first heard the phrase some months ago (from Kellyanne Conway, IIRC), in
the form "We're going to leave everything on the field."

JL