[Ads-l] material on "is is", "double is", etc.

Arnold M. Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sat Nov 19 13:44:03 UTC 2016

> On Nov 19, 2016, at 1:41 AM, Margaret Lee <0000006730deb3bf-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote:
>
> I thought we discussed 'double is' on this list several years ago.  Example:  'The thing is is that ...'
> It is one of President Obama's favorite constructions, with emphasis/stress on the first 'is.'

my posting to this list announced a *compendium* of postings and publications about the phenomenon, not a fresh discovery of any kind.  and in fact the Page i cited there refers to ADS-L discussions in May, October, and December 2001. (there were probably more later, and i'd be happy to add these references if anyone wants to supply them.)

arnold