[Ads-l] Between you and I, I'm surprised!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 27 21:23:12 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's even in Shakespeare, a century earlier.

I saw the Shakespearean examples, but the ones easy to find were all in
"editions" no earlier than the 19th C.

Not that that matters, but...

"What the hell, eh?"

as a Canadian friend says.

By coincidence, _Merchant_ was one of the Shakespearean plays that we read
in high school, in the reader, Prose and Poetry for Appreciation. I don't
recall coming across the line as cited, probably because we used a version
of the play edited to conform to the prescriptive "rules" of English
"grammar" in our textbook, uniquely "entidled" - as some Fb-friend wrote -
"English Grammar."
--
-Wilson
-----