[Ads-l] Fw: Slang synonyms for "stile"?

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Oct 5 02:37:52 UTC 2016

Joel,

Not very pertinent, I'm afraid, but there's this:

HEDGE

Hedge, to secure a desperate Bet, Wager or Debt. By Hedge or by Style, by Hook
or by Crook; [As common as the Hedges or Highways; said of a Prostitute or
Strumpet].

-- from B.E., _New Dictionary of the Canting Crew_ (1699) with the bit in
[brackets] added in the _New Canting Dictionary_ in 1725.

There's also this, from Farmer and Henley:

STYLE.  To help a lame dog over a style, _verb. phr._ (common) -- To give a
hand; to assist in a difficulty; to bunk up.

-- perhaps "bunk up" might lead somewhere.

There's this, from the OED Historical Thesaurus, probably of even less help:

hipping    1703    pl. Stepping-stones (by which one ‘hips’ or leaps across a
stream).
hipping-stones    1781    So hipping-stones n. stepping-stones.
stepping    1796    concr. pl. = stepping-stones (see stepping-stone n.). dial.

-- Maybe "hipping stone", if not slang, at least not SE, could be extended from
a stream to a stile?

Robin