[Ads-l] Slang synonyms for "stile"?

David Kendal me at DPK.IO
Thu Oct 6 10:17:03 UTC 2016

Since stiles are found in the countryside I expect the normal slang
sources (in the Grose, Egan, Hotten, Farmer and Henley tradition) will
not have much, as they are more urban in their coverage.

EDD Online suggests:

balk-stee (Cumberland and West Yorkshire)
clap-stile (Northamptonshire — a particular kind 'having the horizontal
   bars fixed at one end, and movable at the other, giving way to the
   pressure of the foot, and springing up again after the person has
   passed over')
clappergate (Cheshire, as above)
couple (East Anglia — a turnstile)
cripple-gate (West Yorkshire)
fall-stile (Warwickshire, a clap-stile, but with the note that ‘This
   form of stile is rare in War.’)
gan-by (North (?) Yorkshire — there's a misprint or OCR error here)
gap-hole (West Yorkshire)
giddle-gaddle (Yorkshire and Cheshire
   see https://i.imgur.com/iAsmViH.png)
grimestee (West Yorkshire)
heaver or ever (Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, and Herefordshire)
hop-over (Cheshire)
larra (Dorset, Somerset, and Devon — specifically the bar on a stile)
overgate (North Yorkshire)
riser (Devon)
rowley-gate (around Tyneside, a turnstile)
rozzle(s) (Surrey and Sussex)
squeeze-belly (Wiltshire, a V-shaped stile)
stave (West Yorkshire, specifically the crossbar)
stiggy (Orkney and Shetland)
stook (Somerset, ‘A kind of stile beneath which water is discharged’)
sty (North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Lancashire, Lincolnshire,
   Derbyshire)
shy-hole (West Yorkshire)
tantara-stile (Warwickshire, a clap-stile)
tirl-grind (Shetland Isles, a turnstile)
tirless-yett (Scotland, turnstile)
whim-wham (Shopshire, turnstile)
whirligig (Cheshire, North Staffordshire, Shropshire, Gloucestershire,
   turnstile)

dpk (David P. Kendal) · Nassauische Str. 36, 10717 DE · http://dpk.io/
   To iterate is human,                              +49 159 03847809
      to recurse divine.
            — L. Peter Deutsch