[Ads-l] Liberman on Slang

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Wed Oct 5 04:20:52 UTC 2016

Despite having mounted what might have come across as a sustained attack on
Anatoly Liberman, I have to say that, in the course of following his blog
closely for possibly a year now, this is the first time I've found myself in
serious disagreement with him.

Mostly I read him with delight and admiration.

Also, *in its own terms*, the "Slang (1756)" entry in _Etymology_ is a
meticulous example of meta-etymology.  Insofar as Liberman is tracing the
history of what people have said about the etymology of slang, it's beyond
comprehensive -- detailed, trustworthy, and properly referenced.

It's also, of course, as an answer to the particular question, "Where does
"slang" come from?", I think profoundly wrong.

But whose fault is that?  If Professor Liberman had started from Partridge's
_Dictionary of the Underworld_ rather than from the _Oxford English Dictionary_,
he wouldn't have ended up where he did.

I can entirely understand Fred's irritation with him.  In venturing into modern
slang, Liberman is probably leaving his proper territory, and getting it wrong
as he goes.

That side of his work doesn't really bother me at all, mostly because I'm much
less interested in slang than in cant, so my toes aren't being trodden on.

Just saying.

Robin

(Fred, this:

"Liberman is at home in the realm of etymology of ancient words where conjecture
cannot be challenged by documented fact."

It's not, I think, that the challenge can't be made, or that Liberman doesn't
quite often, himself, challenge conjecture with fact, but that the nature of the
facts drawn on is different.  Corpus linguistics didn't exist when Liberman was
young, and isn't necessarily applicable to what he mostly does.

R.)