[Ads-l] A Distressed Rake in 1790s Ireland

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Oct 14 15:19:28 UTC 2016

I've just discovered that the late 18thC Limerick (Ireland) printer William
Goggin issued an eight-page pamphlet with the title, _The Distressed Rake_
(details after my signature).

If the first three words of the title song (Goggin's pamphlets, or at least the
ones I've seen, usually contain 4-5 separate and often completely unconnected
songs) read "As I was walking ..." or any variant thereof, then what we have is
a crucial text in a song-tradition reaching from Dublin and Cork in the 1790s,
via St James's Infirmary in London, to finally end up outside Tom Sherman's bar
room in Laredo.

If the Groggin text is what I suspect it is -- and the date, the title, and the
nature of the material that Goggin usually printed all suggest that there's a
good chance that this is the case -- then the text is more than important.

Unfortunately, at this point, as an Independent Scholar [sic], I'm stuck.  While
I have access to pre-1700 texts, I don't have access to ECCO.

Anyone on the list able and willing to help me out?  It may turn out that this
is a blind alley, but if not, well ...

Robin Hamilton

____________________________________

Details from ESTC:

ESTC System No. 006234296
ESTC Citation No. T34711
Title The distressed rake to which is added, The Gobbio, The Limerick Dandy-O.
The new Dhooraling. No. 5
Publisher/year Limerick : printed by W. Goggin. Book-Seller and Stationer,
Corner of Bridge-Street, where Country Chapmen may be supplied with Histories,
Manuals, Primmers, Spelling-Books, large and small Pictures, plain or painted,
Ballads, and every other Article in the Book-Selling and Stationary Business, on
cheaper Terms than at any other Shop, [1790?]
Physical descr. 8p. ; 8⁰.
Electronic location Eighteenth Century Collections Online. Gale