[Ads-l] "mutton" as in " mutton dressed as lamb", attributive

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Oct 23 19:54:58 UTC 2016

GDoS carries it back to 1785, where it appears in the first edition of Captain
Francis Grose's _Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue_:

mutton dressed as lamb (n.) (also mutton done up as lamb, ...dressed up like
lamb, old ewe dressed as lamb, old ewe dressed lamb fashion, sheep
masquerading...)
1. a woman who dresses younger than her years.
1785, 1788, 1796 [UK] Grose Classical Dict. of the Vulgar Tongue n.p.: Ewe,
[...] an old ewe drest lamb fashion, an old woman, drest like a girl.

Robin