[Ads-l] "man" avoidance

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 25 02:50:54 UTC 2016

Way to go, Flourish!!!

I'm particularly sensitive to the issue of erasure in history pointed to in
Flourish's post, since I'm currently at work on a early eighteenth century
murder case where there are more erasures than figures, around gender (one of
the figures is female printer), ethnicity (the participants are a mix of Dutch
and English), class (the murdered man is an esquire), and most of all, state
control of the dissemination of information.

This is something addressed long ago by Hugh MacDiarmid (succinctly, if in
Scots) in "The Eemis Stane".

On the other hand, it's worth remembering that the term "politically correct"
was coined by the Left as a joke, before being gleefully co-opted and redefined
by the Raving Right as a synonym for what most people would consider common
courtesy.

That's an issue I'm sure all of us on this list are aware of, and I'm entirely
with Jon in that area.

So Jon has a point, and Flourish has a point, and I just hope they don't stab
each other to death and erase their respective existences.

No denigration (without representation) intended.

Robin