[Ads-l] "man" avoidance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 25 22:31:52 UTC 2016

> neatly shuts down what I thought was an enlightening conversation

Obviously not, since this is an open forum catering to opinionated
enthusiasts, who may be expected to chime should they wish to. But I can't
think of anything more to say, myself.

But as for general enlightenment, let me repeat the line about "recent
socio-semantic hypotheses," with the emphasis on "hypotheses." I'll even
suggest churlishly that one function of such hypotheses is, at least in
certain cases, to afford powerless sociolinguists a fun feeling of real
power over language and the people who use it, along with the ego-boost
that they're somehow building a better future. (What far-right satirist
could have dreamed up a university that slaps a trigger-style warning on
"you guys" when - no secret - plenty of women now say it to each other?)

The most important linguistic lesson I learned as an undergraduate was,
"Language isn't logical; it's psychological."

I.e., isn't consistent, isn't fully rational, and - except for robots -
can't be made so.

JL