[Ads-l] Adage: Traduttori traditori (Translators, traitors)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 2 21:25:45 UTC 2017

Garson beat me to it, but I'll just note that the Italian proverb
"Traduttori, traditori" appeared in English sources as early as 1850:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ATsZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA300

It's also perhaps notable that the canonical version of the proverb simply
presents the two plural nouns in an implicit equation, rather than a less
elliptical formulation like "I traduttori sono traditori."

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 4:14 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com