[Ads-l] Adage: Traduttori traditori (Translators, traitors)

Sun Apr 2 21:49:39 UTC 2017

Thanks Ben. While searching I came across some instances of the longer
version of the saying. Interestingly, an 1824 Italian book suggested
that the phrase was an English proverb.

Year: 1824 (M.DCCC.XXIV)
Title: Aloune prose del conte Giambatista Giovio
Publisher: Per Giovanni Silvestri, Milano

https://books.google.com/books?id=Wl80AAAAMAAJ&q=traduttori#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
E un proverbio inglese, e quasi una verità d'ogni idioma, che i
traduttori sono traditori.
[End excerpt]

To maintain symmetry an English book from 1847 stated that the phrase
was an Italian saying:

Year: 1847
Title: The Book of Table-Talk by Several Contributors
Volume 1 of 2
Chapter 34: Mistakes of Translators
Start Page 173, Quote Page
Publisher: C. Cox, London

https://books.google.com/books?id=BDMCAAAAQAAJ&q=%22are+traitors%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
According to an Italian saying, I traduttori sono traditori, or,
"Translators are traitors."
[End excerpt]

Garson