[Ads-l] Original Strand Magazine issues

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 7 14:23:17 UTC 2017

Thanks again to Peter, Bill, and Garson.  Especially as the quotation from "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" that I want to use is slightly different in the Strand from the edition I have.

The Hathi Trust volume probably does not have cover pages for any month, so I will cite the quotation without a month name.  I suspect in order to see the original original single month issue with its cover page I will have to go to someplace like Houghton Library holding "Separate numbers of the magazine, all in printed paper wrappers."  (Interesting -- were the monthly covers loose, and the bound pages without a title page?)

Joel

      From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:04 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Original Strand Magazine issues

The Adventure of the Cardboard Box appears to be in the January 1893
issue of The Strand Magazine. (as Bill has indicated.) I do not see
the front page of the January issue in HathiTrust (if it existed). The
story begins on page 61. The volume contains January to June 1893. To
double check you can page backward from the first page of the story to
the beginning of the volume.

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015086857920
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015086857920?urlappend=%3Bseq=69

Garson