[Ads-l] "another thing coming" antedated to 1866

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 20 03:36:20 UTC 2017

I'm afraid COHA has some bad metadata here. The quote is from "Tom Swift in
the City of Gold" by Victor Appleton, published in 1912.

https://books.google.com/books?id=UP0_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA84

So it's not an antedating of "another think coming" (let alone "another
thing coming" suggested by the subject line). 1897 is still the date to
beat.

--Ben