[Ads-l] arrow-space

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 7 00:02:06 UTC 2017

> On Aug 6, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Margaret Winters <mewinters at WAYNE.EDU> wrote:
>
> When I lived in S. Illinois I was told to use the vowel in Karo syrop for the the city where the Mississippi and the Ohio rivers meet - I'm not a native speaker (at all!) but was told this by locals.
>

> I've always assumed that Pretty Saro was a nickname for Sarah and thus that the vowel is similar.
>

> Margaret

Agreed on both counts.  I mostly know Cairo as a poker variant—7 stud low hand splits pot with low hole card.  (The low variant of Chicago.)  Pronounced like the syrup, which some players assumed was the actual name of the variant, but of course motivated by the fact that Cairo (which features in Huckleberry Finn, and pronounced correctly on the audio version I was listening to) is as low (South) as you can get and still be in Illinois—but crucially for the book was therefore not located in a slave state.

For Pretty Saro:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Saro
http://www.greatwhatsit.com/archives/15884

Curious about the long discontinuity in its history.  I really like the Iris Dement cover, but Jean Ritchie’s isn’t shabby either.  Hey, just found the former on youtube:
https://tinyurl.com/y853uysk

Definitely rhymes with Karo/pharoah

LH