[Ads-l] Possible Antedatings of the Term "Sexism"

Sat Aug 12 16:43:47 UTC 2017

Excellent work, Fred. The senses of the pre-1968 citations listed in
the OED entry for "sexism" are unclear as Fred notes. A separate entry
for the modern sense would probably be helpful.

By 1965 advertising executive and activist Jo Foxworth was using the
term "second-sexism" within her speeches. Its meaning, I think,
overlaps the modern sense of "sexism" (although it is distinct);
hence, it may be an interesting precursor.

Date: October 18, 1965
Newspaper: The Montgomery Advertiser
Newspaper Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Article: After that
Quote Page 4, Column 1

[Begin excerpt]
An organization known as the National Council of Women in the United
Stales opened its convention in New York this week with a stirring
keynote address by Miss Jo Foxworth, an advertising executive who
spends much of her energy debunking what she calls "the myth of second
sexism."

Miss Foxworth complains that today, as throughout history, writers,
artists, and minstrels persist in characterizing women as "the weaker
sex, the unfair sex, the oversexed sex, and, in total, the benighted
and accursed creature responsible—now as always—for man's downfall.

Man's mom, man's mate, man's girl child, and, in recent years, man's
competitor in the marketplace, are cast as the authors of his woes,
his frustrations, and his ultimate ruin."
[End excerpt]