[Ads-l] antedating (?) "shaggy-dog story"

Mon Dec 4 02:51:53 UTC 2017

The origin of the shaggy dog story was discussed on this list back in
August 2015. Here is a link to information for a 1906 citation that I
think is illuminating.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-August/138521.html

Here is a link to the beginning of the thread which was initiated by
Stephen Goranson:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2015-August/138435.html

I think that an interesting article could be written using citations
from the thread and supplementary research.  I haven't tried to write
a summary because I primarily concentrate on quotations.

Garson