[Ads-l] "Felicia"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 17 01:39:03 UTC 2017

Further trivia:

Felicia asks to "borrow." I would have expected her to ask to "hold."
That's been the usual term for "borrow" from time immemorial, in the BEV.
It's also used ironically by "rogues" - a term for street thugs probably
peculiar to St. Louis - instead of "rob," as exemplified in "Everybody
Hates Chris":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSouU3DPCw

Cf. further:

The Understanding - Page 25
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0557049407
D. Simone - 2009 - ‎Preview
Justice hung up the phone and walked over to his dresser to check his
wallet to see how much money he had in it. He found only ten dollars. “I
got to call my boy and see if he'll let me _hold_ a few dollars till I get
paid next Friday."

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> It was nominated in the Most Euphemistic category in the 2014 WOTY voting.
>
> https://www.americandialect.org/2014-word-of-the-year-is-blacklivesmatter
>

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Wasn’t “bye Felicia” a candidate in one of our WOTY categories a few
years
> > back?
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Dec 16, 2017, at 8:51 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at MST.EDU>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if it was used as an ethnic slur, but it certainly
> > expressed insensitivity . See http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bye-Felicia<
> > http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bye-felicia>
> > >
> > > which begins by saying '"Bye Felicia" is a memorable quote from the
1995
> > comedy film Friday, which is often used online as a dismissive
farewell.'

> > > Further details follow, including the relevant profanity-laced
dialogue
> > that produced the expression.
> > >
> > > Gerald Cohen

> > > James Landau, December 16, 2017 8:33 a.m. wrote:
> > >
> > > My wife was watching Omarosa Manigault Newman on Good Morning America.
> > >
> > > At one point anchor Robin Roberts said, "Bye Felicia".  My wife said
it
> > sounded to her like an ethnic slur.  Was it?

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain