[Ads-l] Ban or no ban?

Wed Feb 1 17:16:15 UTC 2017

Reading the linked article at refinery29.uk I saw that "clean
sleeping" included the rule "No alcohol before bed". In addition, a
"copper-infused pillowcase" was recommended with "fine strands of
copper oxide could help to prevent the formation of, and even reduce,
wrinkles".

Perhaps the phrase "clean living" provides an interesting antecedent.
Below is an excerpt from an 1852 article titled "Physical Puritanism"
that discussed homeopathy, alcohol prohibition, and other topics. This
probably falls into the general OED division "II. Pure, undefiled,
unsullied" which has a very long history.

Date: July 17, 1852
Periodical: Littell's Living Age
Article: Physical Puritanism (acknowledgement Westminster Review)
Start Page 129, Quote Page 131

https://books.google.com/books?id=BSLVAAAAMAAJ&q=%22clean+living%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
It seems that it forbids its patients the secret and hypocritical
poisons in daily use among the self-indulgent multitude. The
consistent homoeopathist has to abstain, when under treatment, from
spirits, wines, beers, coffees, teas, tobaccos, and spices; and,
although homoeopathy might be considered as mainly a testimony against
the consumption of poisonous stuffs during sickness and convalescence,
it is likewise clear that the whole weight of its vast influence is in
favor of clean living.
[End excerpt]

Garson