[Ads-l] Ban or no ban?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 1 16:42:02 UTC 2017

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> The first I heard of this was in the recent Panera Bread commercials
> promising "clean food."
>
> I thought at first they were insinuating that other restaurants served
> unclean food - either with dirt in it or in some religious sense.
>
> JL

I’d guess in Panera’s case it’s implied to be free of unwanted adulterants (or are all adulterants unwanted?).  OED’s 2a under “clean” is

2. a. Free from any defiling or deteriorating ingredient; unmixed with foreign matter, pure, unadulterated. Now commonly expressed by pure, except when the contaminating ingredient is ‘dirt’; as in ‘pure’ or ‘clean water’; _clean air_, unpolluted atmosphere

I think it’s that class of potential polluting/defiling ingredients that’s claimed to be absent.  “Pure” would be another option.  I think “healthy" is something else, describing not the food itself but its effect on the consumer.  But as for “clean sleep” I’m not sure. Absence of wake-ups at 3a.m.?  Absence of dirty dreams?  I expect Gwyneth *isn’t* using it in the more literal sense that http://cleansleep.com/ has in mind ("Clean Sleep will take care of that accident on your guestroom mattress with minimal downtime”).

LH