[Ads-l] dead fucking boring - infix diagnostic

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 23 20:13:24 UTC 2017

Thank you. Although I’m not 100% convinced, LH’s explanation makes more sense to me than mine. But if so, it seems that either the definition of “infix” has to be expanded, or else infixes have a wider range of function than simply insertion within a word.

One particularly odd issue is “dead/right fucking ahead” which violates the infixing rule that the syllable after the point of insertion has to have primary stress. (That might be strong evidence that “right ahead” and “dead ahead” are each indeed two words and that “fucking” is not an infix.)

As to the order of adjectives, I don’t think it comes into play as these are (conventionally) adverb + adjective expressions. See, for example, “dead” as an adverb at https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dead#Adverb <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dead#Adverb>.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA