[Ads-l] dead fucking boring - infix diagnostic

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 23 20:38:46 UTC 2017

There's some useful discussion in Michael Adams's 2012 book _Slang: The
People's Poetry_ in the section "Lexicofabricography and the Lexically
Meaningful Infix" (pp. 127ff). I believe "dead fucking boring" would fall
under what Michael calls "syntactic interposings" of "fucking" or its
euphemisms -- he mentions "no fucking way," "where in the effin hell," and
"so friggin what" as examples. Distinguishing "interposing" from "infixing"
(as Michael does) is helpful here, I think.

--Ben