[Ads-l] Saying: Fascism will come disguised as anti-fascism

Thu Feb 23 20:26:35 UTC 2017

Variants of the saying in the subject line have been ascribed to
Winston Churchill and Huey Long. Here are some examples:

The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists.
If fascism ever came to this country it would be in the name of anti-fascism.

I received a request on this topic, and there was a germane discussion
thread back in 2012. The expression is highly variable, and it has
been difficult for me to trace. The "Yale Book of Quotations" has a
citation for Huey Long in 1944. Here is an instance in 1936.

Date: February 22, 1936
Newspaper: The Cincinnati Enquirer
Newspaper Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Article: A "Lively Age" To Come? (Book Review of "In the second Year"
by Storm Jameson)
Author: J. F. McD.
Quote Page 7, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Norman Thomas said recently in a speech made in Cincinnati "Fascism is
coming in the United States most probably, but it will not come under
that name." In this statement he was repeating the words of the late
Huey Long, but Huey added: "Of course we'll have it. We'll have it
under the guise of anti-fascism." If you have not been sufficiently
disturbed by "It Can't Happen Here," read this new book of Storm
Jameson's.
[End excerpt]

Early citations and pertinent information would be welcome.
Garson