[Ads-l] Facebookery: "Sally refuses to be _gaslit_."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 15 19:40:49 UTC 2017

> On Jan 15, 2017, at 10:47 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Wouldn't the word "gaslit" be familiar in the sense of "lit by gas", and
> wouldn't the Academy Award nominated movie and it's context be familiar to
> just about everyone?
>
> I don't think the connection is hard to make.

I don’t know; given that it’s from the title of the film, which in turn derives from the use of gas lights in the film (and I assume the earlier play), it’s a bit indirect—not to the extent of “grandstood” as the past tense of “grandstand”, but somewhere along that continuum.  Or maybe referring to someone disposed of in a wood-chipper as having been “Fargone” rather than “Fargoed”.  (Sorry for the spoiler alert.)

LH